In today’s world, data is crucial, data is power, data is what drives world. Thus, businesses are trying to store as much data as possible and trying to use it understand its business, consumers and be future ready. It is also important be able to control the storage, so that you can either store as much as you want or as little as need. Such competitive demands around data capture has made it critical that we are able to store our data in a way that it is cheap to store, easy to access and fast to process.
Cloud solutions help as scale our application storage needs as per our requirement. There are many such platforms available, and Alibaba Cloud is one of them. One of its offerings is the Alibaba Cloud Table Store. So, let us explore the opportunities that Alibaba Cloud gives us –
Table Store is a NoSQL Database service from Alibaba Cloud. Built on the Apsara distributed operating system, Table Stores are meant to store and provide access to large volumes of structured data in real time. Such structuring allows one to –
- Able to create organized data compositions in form of instances and tables with ease of scalability by using data partitioning along with load balancing.
- Ensuring high scalability and fast recoverability from faults and errors that underlying hardware platform may face, providing fast recovery capability and high service availability.
- Ensure high data reliability by maintaining multiple data backups on its solid state disks (SSDs).
To understand the table stores at a very high level, we need to understand the basic concepts given as below –
- Data Model – Like any table in a any of the known RDBMS, a Table Store is defined with Table, Row, Primary Key. However, in addition, Table Store data model supports something called Attribute. Thus, in a Table Store, a table is nothing but a set of rows, and each row consists of the primary key and its attribute. It comes with an additional flexibility, Alibaba Table Store allows different column count for each row.
- Time To Live (TTL) – Time To Live (TTL) is a data table attribute measured in seconds that indicates the validity period of data. This attribute is very important as it marks the lifetime of the data and thus when data storage space needs to be reclaimed to reduce storage costs, Table Store automatically clears any data that exceeds TTL.
- Region – Region refers to a service region of Alibaba Cloud. Table Store is deployed across many service regions. You can select a suitable region tailored to your needs. For more information, see Table Store regions.
- Read/Write throughput – The read/write throughput is measured by read/write capacity units (CUs). This is the smallest billing unit for the data read and write operations. Read/write throughput includes Reserved throughput and Additional throughput.
So, once the data is on the table store, how do we identify the value of it. Well, there are many values that can be drawn from it and some of the top ones are given as below –
- Unlimited Organized Data Capacity.
- Table Model that is Flexible
- Dynamic Through put scaling thus giving the flexibility to grow or shrink your capacity as need with ease.
- SSD based backups.
- Data Management made easy as Table Store relieves you from additional responsibilities like Data Partitioning, Software/HW upgrades and Cluster resizing.
- Increased data reliability that comes with high service availability.
- Failure detection through Real Time Monitoring
Thus, Alibaba Cloud Table Store packs you with capabilities that helps you live easy by keeping your data at your finger tips with the assurance that it is secure and safe.